Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Shocker

You may remember him as the best man at our wedding. Or perhaps as the man who invited the vegetarians to a Meat Fest in West Covina. I remember him as many things, and especially as the man who dubbed me, "The Sinner" afer only knowing me a few moments. It is the best nickname I will ever have. He was my Sam's dearest friend.



I absolutely HATE that I am posting this right now. I would give all of my limbs not to have to say this right now. Gleno McIntosh was the single most funny, loving, gregarious, open, warm and wonderful man I have ever known- next to my Sam, of course. Nobody, but nobody, met Gleno and did not immediately adore him. I remember the first time I met him and how welcoming he was to me, in the midst of a sea of burly and sometimes surly motorcyclists. He always made me feel at home and his home, at home at the race track, or at home at otherwise potentially discombobulating motorcycling events. He could barbeque like nobody's business. He loved his beautiful wife, Terri, and was never afraid to show it. He was not above singing and dancing to Alanis Morissette. We took him to his first musical, "We Will Rock you", in Vegas, and he showed such boyish enthusiasm for the show that he made us delighted with it all over again. He made us laugh- oh, how he made us laugh- with socially inappropriate comments, colloquilisms, and good old fashioned jokes more than anyone I have ever known.

He will be missed.

He will be loved forever.

Stories will be told about the legend of this man for time immemorial.

Last night, we lost our Gleno in a tragic motorcycle accident. I can only be happy for the time we knew him, for the special and often hilarious moments we shared with him, and especially for the fact that he did not die alone on the road last night.

Gleno, you silly bastard! You are gone too soon!

I know you will be smiling down on us for all time, bacskseat driving the barbeque, admonishing us whenever we miss an opening for a joke, and filling us with appreciation for the moments of good times on the Road of This Wild Life.

Rest in Peace, Dear Friend.

I cannot expess our sadness.

Our hearts go out to Terri, his children, the rest of his family, and everyone else who has ever met him.

Goddamnit.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for doing a better job than I could possibly do of briefly explaining Gleno to those who now will never have the chance to meet the man.

This just flat out sucks.

1:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, by reading this i can tell you really do know my dad. Our family appreciates your support and thank you for taking the time out to do something special for him. This is a very hard time, but with people like you, its that much easier to deal with. Thank You. Glen's son Jon

by the way, my dad took to my first concert when i was 15 or 16 and it was Alanis Morrisette

1:26 AM  
Anonymous Mary said...

I am so sorry for your loss Tifanie, and my heart goes out to Sam and Gleno's family as well. All I can is that Aaron and I never had so much fun at such a meaty restaurant. Love, Mary

12:37 PM  
Blogger AA said...

Yes the meat-fest incident....That guy made fun of me for about an hour for getting salad! He was loud and gregarious and I could tell that he liked to grab the bull by the horns....

I was very sorry to hear the news of his accident. My thoughts are with you,Sam and Glen's family.

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you like the brother I never had. When I was down, you picked me up. When I was ready to fall apart, you helped glue me back together. Whenever I needed a shoulder, yours was always there. When I had no family, you were my family.

What do I do now without you? I have to learn to use my "getaway sticks" to stand on my own - something you always tried to teach me. I promise to hold your teachings dear to my heart always brother.

Lance Martz

4:53 PM  
Blogger tifanie said...

Thank you all so much for your beautiful sentiments...I am at a loss for anthing else to say right now, but my thoughts and love are with you all.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am going to borrow this old Indian prayer because I found it a tremendous inspiration after I heard of Gleno's death. I hope it comforts others here as well:

Do not stand at my grave and weep, I am not there. I do not sleep.

I am a thousand winds that blow.

I am the diamond glint on snow.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.

I am the gentle autumn's rain.

When you awaken in the morning hush.

I am the swift, uplifting rush, of quiet birds in encircled flight.

I am the stars that shine at night

Do not stand at my grave and cry.

I am not there. I did not die

4:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home